Despite high temperatures forecast into the mid-40s for Saturday, Duluth’s first Ice and Mixed Fest climbing event at Quarry Park is still a go.
“It just means there’ll be less ice (climbing) and more mixed (climbing),” said Duluth’s Dave Pagel, one of the event’s organizers. “All events are still on.”
“Mixed” climbing means climbers ascend a combination of ice and rock.
More info at duluthclimbers.org.
Duluth Ice & Mixed Fest highlights
- 7 p.m. Friday, event kickoff at Bent Paddle
- Saturday (all day): Ice climbing, mixed climbing and climbing clinics at Quarry Park. Activities for non-climbers — spectators’ lounge, fat-bike intro, snowshoe tours.
- Saturday evening — Gear swap, free presentations (Eiger, 7 p.m.; Mount Everest, 8:15 p.m.), raffle. All at Clyde Iron Works.
- Sunday — Informal climbing at Quarry Park
- Event parking — At Epicurean (west entrance); proceed up 59th Avenue West, volunteers will direct traffic to parking area. Overflow parking at Elim Lutheran Church with free shuttle. More info: duluthclimbers.org